WHAT TO DO NOW—Be Informed
Learn what disasters we should prepare for in San Luis Obispo County at www.slocounty.ca.gov/OES.htm
WHEN DISASTER STRIKES
- Check all your supplies and put them in one central location. If you need to leave quickly you don’t want to be searching for supplies.
- Bring your pets indoors and confine them in a small, comfortable area where you can reach them easily.
- Check your evacuation route and confirm your shelter arrangements. Make your accommodation plans far in advance and have your route and places to stay arranged.
IF YOU EVACUATE...
- Take all your pets
- Make sure pets are safely contained
- All pets must wear identification
- Take your emergency supplies—including water
- Allow plenty of time if you have to trailer livestock and horses out of evacuation zones.
IF YOU SHELTER IN PLACE…
- Keep your pets indoors—preferably in their carriers and on leashes.
- Keep them in an interior, safe room—away from windows.
- Make sure they wear current identification!
AFTER THE EMERGENCY
- Keep your pets safely confined.
- Check your home and fence for damage. Loose fences may not properly confine a frightened, disoriented pet. Damaged windows could injure or allow escape.